apple hand pies
These Apple Hand Pies feature a sweet apple pie filling inside a buttery, flaky pie crust. So easy to make.
The filling for these pies consists of apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon. I recommend chopping the apples into small pieces. They fit inside the dough better and make eating them a little easier, too.
I love these Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies for a grab-and-go sweet treat, a simple addition to a dessert table.
hese hand pies are a fantastic option for changing up the traditional slice of pie and ice cream and would be especially welcome as a dessert at an outdoor gathering or one that included small children.
MORE APPLE HAND PIES RECIPES READERS LOVE!
Apple Bread – set it and forget it!
sweet and sour shrimp – fresh
Spam fried rice – so easy!
potato salad with bacon – Simply classic.
candied sweet potatoes – Favorite recipe!
vegetable pasta recipes – Comforting and delicious!
apple hand pies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large apples peeled, cored and diced small
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using your fingers or pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the egg yolks and milk, mix with spatula until the dough is just combined.
- Divide pie dough into 6 pieces; roll each into a ball. Cover and chill until while filling is prepared.
- To make filling, peel and core apples; slice thin, then cut slices in half. Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Whisk salt, brown sugar, cinnamon . Add apples and stir to coat. Cook at a low simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When apple filling has cooled, arrange oven racks in order to bake in the bottom level. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- On a floured surface, roll each dough ball into a circle about 5-inches in diameter. Place equal amounts of apple filling in center of each dough circle (about 1/4 cup per circle). Fold dough over filling. Use a fork to crimp edges together to seal hand pie. Place hand pies onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Brush tops of each hand pie with egg mixture; sprinkle tops evenly with granulated sugar. Cut small vents on the top.
- Bake at 400-degrees F for 15 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350-degrees F and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.