Making pastry dough from scratch can be a time-consuming process, but the results are well worth putting in that effort when you’re pulling homemade or Bacon Sausage Bread out of the oven.
MORE SAUSAGE BREAD RECIPES READERS LOVE!
Banana Muffins – favorite comfort food
Pumpkin Muffins – super easy
sausage pasta recipes – fresh & flavorful!
- 1 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cups warm water 110 degrees F
- 1 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons cold milk
- chopped onion
- Add yeast. Pour the liquid mixture into the large bowl of a stand mixer. Then sprinkle the yeast evenly on top, and give it a quick stir with a fork to combine. Wait for five minutes, or until the yeast is foamy.
- Add dry ingredients. Then add in 2 cups of flour (not all of the flour!) the salt and sugar.Mix. Using the dough-hook, mix on medium-low speed until the dry ingredients are combined. If the dough is sticking to the sides of the bowl, add in 1/4 cup more flour at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is only slightly sticky to the touch. (Only use up to 3 cups of flour total.) Continue mixing on low speed for 4-5 minutes. Then form the dough into a ball with your hands and transfer it to a greased bowl.Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer dough to greased bowl, turning once to cover. Allow dough to rise until double in size, about one hour.Punch dough down. Remove dough from bowl and roll into ball.
- Divide dough in half and then cut each half into 5 portions. Cut a small horizontal slit on top of dough. Place on 2 greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until double in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle Sausage, cheese and onion in top of dough.
- Bake in a preheated 375oF oven, for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and transfer to wire rack to cool.