Easy baked eggplant recipes
Baked Eggplant – crispy baked, not fried, eggplant with breading. A delicious way to enjoy this fall vegetable!
Crispy Baked Eggplant is a yummy snack or appetizer (and it’s great baked into our favorite Eggplant Parmesan). Tender slices of eggplant are coated in an easy seasoned breadcrumb/parmesan mixture and baked to crispy perfection!
Eggplant is in season and I am going to show you one of my favorite dishes with this vegetable. It’s easy and can be served as an appetizer, side dish or used in main dishes, like Eggplant Parmesan. The garlicky Parmesan breading makes for a perfectly crispy coating even though the eggplant is baked and not fried.
How to Prepare Eggplant
Wash the eggplant and cut off both ends. There is no need to peel the eggplant in this recipe as it bakes up perfectly tender. Slice the eggplant into 1/4″ (or slightly thicker if you’d prefer) slices.
How to Bake Eggplant
Eggplant is an easy vegetable to make and tastes great. Once cooked, the texture can become similar to a soft baked zucchini. The secret to transforming this mild tasting veggie into a savory and substantial dish is all in the prepping. To make crispy baked eggplant that your family will love:
Dredge the slices by coating each one first in flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs.
Place on aluminum foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes, then flip each disk and baked for 7 more minutes. The eggplant should be golden brown and the breading crispy.
How Long to Bake Eggplant
Since these are thin slices of eggplant they only need about 10 minutes in a hot oven.
If you slice your eggplant a bit thicker, it may need a little bit of extra time to become tender.
MORE EGGPLANT RECIPES READERS LOVE!
baked tofu recipes – Perfect grilled !
baked potato wedges – Kids love this !
roasted shrimp and veggies – fresh, easy & delicious !
baked macaroni and cheese – quick & easy weeknight meal !
roasted sweet potato – Easy favorite recipes !
oven baked potato slices – Kids love this !
baked eggplant recipes
- 1.5-2 lbs eggplant sliced 1/4 inch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 lemon use only the zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Prepare two baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice eggplant about 1/4 inch thick. Place on paper towel lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Whisk eggs together in a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, add the flour. In a third bowl combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, lemon zest, garlic powder and basil. Set all three bowls aside.
- After the eggplant has sat for 30 minutes, rinse well under cold running water well and pat dry.
- Dredge each slice of eggplant first in the flour, then into the egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Place each slice of eggplant on prepared parchment lined pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for 5 minutes more or until golden brown.