Southern style macaroni and cheese casserole, smothered in a homemade creamy cheese sauce, and layered with tons of cheese!
This homemade baked macaroni and cheese is my most favorite and has pleased crowds, small families, kids and picky eaters alike–give it a try and you’ll see why. Baked macaroni and cheese only needs a few simple ingredients to make something creamy and delicious.
Can I freeze macaroni and cheese?
I get asked that a lot and my answer is always no. As the pasta and cheese sauce sit, it will thicken and when you thaw it and bake it, the creamy consistency is just gone. It’s thick and gloppy. Plus if you freeze it and it’s still a bit warm, water crystals will form and then thaw into your dish and could make it separate when you bake it. Besides, it’s so fast to make, there’s not really a reason to freeze your macaroni and cheese.
The best Baked Macaroni and Cheese packed with two types of cheese and cooked to perfection. So easy to make, this is a great weekday meal recipe the whole family will enjoy.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
baked macaroni and cheese
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tsp paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and macaroni, and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Add in the butter and stir until the butter is melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the evaporated milk, milk and garlic salt until fully combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the cheeses.
- Preheat the oven to 375°Lightly spray a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the macaroni, then 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour the milk mixture over top. Make sure the cheese distributed well. Sprinkle the paprika evenly on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.