chicken with eggplant sauce — simple to make and goes very well with rice.
This recipe makes use of chinese eggplant, which is deep-purple in color, and long in shape. Chinese eggplants tend to have a softer bite. There are other kinds of eggplants which may be round or oval in shape, with a firmer bite.
In restaurants they often deep-fry the eggplant first to retain the vibrant purple color. Deep-frying also helps to prevent the eggplant from turning mushy when cooked. As I do not like to deep-fry too often at home, I found pan-frying (with less oil) to be a good compromise here – it enjoys some of the benefits of deep-frying but without the excessive oil.
Enjoy this simple and delicious dish!
MORE CHICKEN WITH EGGPLANT SAUCE RECIPES READERS LOVE!
Spam fried rice – perfect light lunch!
ham fried rice – super easy
sweet and sour shrimp – so delicious!
twice cooked pork belly – tender & succulent meat!
chicken pad thai – Favorite recipe!
broccoli potato soup – light & flavorful
chicken with eggplant sauce
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoon scallions
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. add the eggplant , then stir fry until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add the chicken, with salt and pepper,then stir fry, Add garlic during of cooking. Mix in water and red pepper flakes, and simmer until all of the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, stir together sugar, corn starch, soy sauce, in a bowl until the sugar and corn starch have dissolved.
- add the eggplant, Pour sauce into the skillet, making sure to evenly coat the eggplant. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with green onion.