korean army stew
korean army stew recipes . There is no single way to make army stew because you can literally create hundreds of combinations based on the ingredients you have on hand.
Korean army stew is made with various canned foods that came from the U.S military base in Korea. Typically they were the cans of Spam, pork and beans, and Vienna sausages (or hot dogs). They offered valuable animal protein which were so lacking among Koreans at those difficult time. They mixed the American canned food with local Korean flavor and made into very unique dish of on its own. Perhaps Korean army stew would be the very first Korean-American fusion dish.
Some of the common ingredients include all kinds of sausage, hot dogs, Spam, bacon, tofu, pork, ground beef, instant noodles, macaroni, rice cake, American cheese, scallions, and whatever vegetables are in season.
MORE KOREAN ARMY STEW RECIPES READERS LOVE!
korean army stew
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb ground beef ground chicken or turkey works as well
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 lbs block tofu cubed
- 1/2 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 lb sausage sliced
- 2 packs instant noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz mushroom
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.. Add the ground meat. Cook and break apart the meat with your spatula, until the meat is mostly cooked through and the surface is lightly charred.Add the green onions, garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tofu,kimchi,mushrooms and sausage. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.Pour in the chicken stock and Stir. Add the soy sauce, sugar and salt. Turn to medium or medium-low heat. Simmer, covered, until the mushrooms are cooked, 5 minutes or so.
- Add the Instant noodles. Cook covered until the ramen noodle is tender yet firm.
- Serve hot as a main dish.