HOW DO YOU MAKE KUNG PAO CHICKEN?
To make kung pao chicken, cut up some chicken and coat the pieces with corn starch, salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in a pan until it is golden brown. add toss in the chili peppers and peanuts. Once the sauce is thickened, serve the dish.
What adds the heat to kung pao chicken?
Whole dried red chili peppers take the heat of kung pao chicken to the next level. The chilies are split open, seeds removed and then stir-fried in with the chicken .
What sauce is used ?
The base of this sauce is a combination of soy sauce for umami notes. A cornstarch slurry helps to thicken the sauce, make sure to keep stirring when adding to help the starches evenly distribute.
This Kung Pao Chicken recipe is quick and easy to make, naturally sweetened, and full of the classic flavors of the dish we all love!
MORE RECIPES READERS LOVE!
sweet and sour shrimp – super easy
mapo tofu recipes – quick and SO easy
braised pork belly – Favorite recipe!
Chicken Piccata – so delicious!
Raisin Bran Muffins – light, fluffy and delicious!
garlic parmesan chicken – reader favorite
candied sweet potatoes – set it and forget it!
kung pao chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless, chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 3-4 dried red chilies seeded and cut into halves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic sliced diagonally
- 1 stalk scallion cut into rings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing rice wine optional
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes, rinse in water, pat dry with paper towels and marinate with the ingredients above for 30 minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with one tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken. Remove chicken to the bowl. Clean the wok and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until it's fully heated. Add in the ginger and garlic slices and do a quick stir before adding in the dried red chilies.
- Stir fry the dried red chilies until aromatic and smell spicy, then add in the chicken meat. Do a few quick stirs before adding in the roasted peanuts. Add the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the sauce. Add in the scallions, stir to combine well with the chicken.