How To Make Parker House Rolls :
Melt the butter over medium heat and add the milk and sugar. Don’t get the mixture too hot or it will kill the yeast. Add the yeast to the mixture and let it sit for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly.
Use a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment to mix and knead the roll dough. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can mix and knead by hand, but the mixer makes it a lot easier.
Combine the yeast mixture with flour and knead for 1 minute. Add the egg, half of the garlic, and kosher salt, and continue kneading on low until the dough is soft and smooth, tacky but not sticky. If the dough is too wet add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.
When the dough has risen, gently punch down the dough and cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Shape the dough into small balls, about 2 ounces each, making 18 dough balls.
Butter a large cast-iron roasting pan or baking dish and place the dough balls into the dish. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. so you are ready to bake!
parker house rolls recipes
Bake the rolls for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
MORE PARKER HOUSE ROLLS RECIPES READERS LOVE!
Raisin Bread – The perfect recipe
Red Bean Bread Rolls – light, fluffy and delicious!
Chicken Corn Soup – Comforting and delicious!
shrimp linguine – so easy!
Chocolate Chip Muffins – perfect for sharing!
parker house rolls
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter to brush on baked rolls
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- heat the milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter in 30 seconds increments until very warm to the touch (120°F to 130°F).
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg and 1/2 cup flour and mix for 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and be slightly sticky. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes, or alternately, you can do this step in your mixer with a dough hook.
- Cover the dough with a clean towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half to a 12-inch square, about 1/4-inch thick. Using a knife or a pizza cutter cut the dough into 6 (12 x 2- inch) strips. Then cut each strip into thirds (4 x 2-inch rectangles).
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Brush each rectangle with butter.
- Crease each rectangle slightly off center with dull edge of knife and fold at crease, so it’s not quite folded in half.
- Place the rolls onto the prepared baking sheet, short folded side facing down. Cover and place in a warm, draft-free place. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.