how to roast a whole chicken
this recipe gives you a roast chicken with flavor… it delivers crispy skin.
Trim off excess fat from chicken and remove any pin feathers that may be left behind.
Remove giblets from the center of chicken. Dab chicken well dry with paper towels.
Rub a cast iron skillet with a little vegetable oil then transfer chicken to skillet.
Season inside cavity with salt and pepper then stuff with garlic cloves, onion wedges, and herbs.
Rub butter all over chicken and season with salt and pepper.
Tie chicken legs together and fold the wing tips back and tuck under chicken.
Broil until golden and crispy!
MORE ROAST CHICKEN RECIPES READERS LOVE!
lemon chicken thighs – easy and juicy as can be
Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry – super easy
easy vegetable soup recipe – fresh & flavorful!
zucchini frittata recipes – so delicious!
Easy Kale Salad – super easy
roast chicken recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 Tbsp butter well softened
- 1/2 medium yellow onion peeled and sliced into halves
- Vegetable oil for skillet
- sprigs thyme
- parsley sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Trim of excess fat from chicken (found near neck and cavity) and remove any pin feathers that may be left behind.
- Remove giblets from the center of chicken (discard or reserve for another use). Dab chicken well dry with paper towels
- Rub a cast iron skillet with a little vegetable oil then transfer chicken to skillet, breast side facing upward.
- Season inside cavity with salt and pepper then Stuff the garlic head into the chicken cavity along with the rosemary sprigs and the herbs.
- Rub butter all over the chicken (focus especially on the upper breast side) and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Tie chicken legs together with kitchen twine and fold the wing tips back and tuck under chicken.
- Roast chicken in the preheated oven until thigh registers 165 and breast register 160, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Broil until golden and crispy!
- Transfer chicken to a carving board or platter (leave drippings in pan).