Shrimp Fried Rice
Best shrimp fried rice recipes
Classic Shrimp Fried Rice with fresh shrimp, rice, green onions, peas, corn , and sesame oil. Tips for making the best fried rice! and the egg fried rice recipes – fresh, easy & delicious
the best part about this fried rice is that it is completely customizable to your taste. You can swap out the shrimp for your favorite protein – chicken, pork , or even tofu to keep it completely vegetarian. As for the veggies, I like using a mix of onions, corn, peas and carrot but if you have more veggies just lingering in your fridge – feel free to add those in as well.
1. As mentioned, use chilled leftover rice! The dry refrigerator air helps dry the rice a bit, which is why cold leftover rice never tastes as good the next day if you eat it straight, but it’s perfect for frying.
2. Use high heat. You don’t need a blazing hot restaurant kitchen stove, just patience to let your pan get hot. A hot pan will help everything fry quickly and help keep ingredients from sticking.
3. Fry ingredients separately. To keep the ingredients and their flavors from mushing together, cook them separately, yet in the same pan. Start with the protein (in this case the shrimp), cook it until it’s almost done, then remove from the pan, and start cooking the other ingredients, then the rice. Add the protein back to the rice at the end.
4. Minimize stirring. If you want browning, don’t stir. Just spread the rice out in the pan and let the pan do the work.
Best shrimp fried rice recipes
TIPS FOR COOKING SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Why you shouldn’t use freshly cooked rice: Fried rice is usually a dish that you make to repurpose the leftover cooked rice from the day before. You want to avoid freshly cooked rice because it is still moist and steamy, which may yield fried rice with a mushy texture. However, if you forget about cooking rice the day before, here is a little trick that I use. I spread a layer freshly cooked rice onto large baking sheets and let the rice air out for about 1 to 2 hours. The grains of rice will dry out during this process.
Cooking the shrimp separately: Shrimp release moisture when you pan fry them. If you cook the shrimp with the vegetables, chances are, you’ll end up with some water at the bottom of your wok or pan. This could lead to mushier fried rice.
MORE SHRIMP FRIED RICE RECIPES READERS LOVE!
roasted shrimp and veggies -quick & easy weeknight meal
chicken and potato casserole – Classic casserole recipe!
roasted whole chicken recipes – Perfect grilled
egg fried rice recipes – fresh, easy & delicious
sausage fried rice recipes – fresh, easy & delicious
Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
- 8 ounces small raw shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil canola oil, or rice bran oil
- 2 stalks green onion minced
- 4 cups leftover rice grains separated well
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and corn defrosted
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce use gluten-free soy sauce if you are making a gluten-free version, plus more to taste
- Toss shrimp with salt, pepper, cornstarch: In a medium bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with salt, pepper, and cornstarch, and toss to coat. Set aside to sit for ten minutes at room temperature.
- Heat pan on high heat: Heat a large sauté pan or wok (a seasoned cast iron pan or hard anodized aluminum works well, they're relatively stick free and can take the heaon high heat.
- When the pan is very hot (a drop of water instantly sizzles when it hits the pan), swirl in one tablespoon of the cooking oil to coat the pan.
- Sear shrimp on both sides: Add the shrimp to the hot pan, spreading them out quickly in a single layer. Let them fry in the pan without moving them, for 30 seconds.
- Flip the shrimp over and let them fry on the other side for another 30 seconds or until they are mostly cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the shrimp out of the pan to a bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil , Add garlic to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, Stir in corn and peas, and cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, green onions and soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes. add the shrimp. stirring to combine well. Add more soy sauce to taste, if desired.