Twice Baked Potatoes
Twice Baked Potatoes are one of my family’s favorite side dishes. A baked potato shell is stuffed with light fluffy mashed potatoes, cheese, and of course – bacon!
I love Baked Potatoes topped with all the toppings, sour cream, bacon and cheese… so naturally I love these stuffed baked potatoes too!
WHAT ARE TWICE BAKED POTATOES?
is a potato that has first been fully cooked in the oven. The white potato interior is then scooped out, to leave the potato skin as the ‘shell.’ Then the potato interior is mixed with fillings such as butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon. Next the potato mixture is scooped back into the potato shell and baked in the oven again.
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
Heat oven to 400°F & place whole potatoes on the middle rack
Bake potatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (until tender)
Remove potatoes from oven & let cool
Cut each potato open and scoop out the inside, leaving the skin in tact
Put the potato shells back in the oven to crisp them up
Mash the potatoes together with sour cream, buttermilk, cheese, & butter
Fill the potato shells with the mashed potato mixture, and add the remaining cheese, bacon, & scallions on top
Now broil the potatoes for about 5-10 minutes
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING TWICE BAKED
Use warm potatoes. This helps ensure the loaded potato filling doesn’t get gluey or tacky while you mash.
Cook the bacon to your liking. I love a crispy piece of bacon, but some like it chewy! To each his own.
Adjust the seasonings. Taste the filling and add what is needed before filling your potato skins.
MORE BAKED POTATO RECIPES READERS LOVE!
Baked Chicken Legs perfect for any recipe!
oven baked chicken wings – a holiday treat!
honey garlic chicken wings – Classic recipe!
teriyaki chicken wings – try festive sprinkles!
Crispy Potatoes roast – Perfect grilled or fried.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 small potatoes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives or green onions
- 6 pieces of bacon cooked crisp and chopped or 3 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash potatoes and poke with a fork. Bake potatoes in oven 1 hour or microwave until soft. Allow to cool slightly.
- Slice each potato in 1/2 lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp of the potato leaving a 1/8" shell.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes, sour cream, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth. Add butter milk as needed to create a creamy texture. Stir in chives, bacon and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Fill each skin with the mashed potato filling and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.