Classic Italian Tuscan Panzanella salad made with large cubes of crusty bread, ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and basil. It’s the perfect side or main dish for summertime!
- 2 Kirby cucumbers peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes cored and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 medium red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 one-inch-thick slices day-old Tuscan-style bread
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
toast until both sides are slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, rub lightly with garlic if desired; tear bread into bite-size chunks.
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, garlic, cucumber, red onion, basil, Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette and olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2314IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 2mg