red beans & rice with sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage or other sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ( 8-ounce) cans red beans (or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 tablespoon parsley minced
Heat oil over medium heat in dutch oven or heavy stock pot. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the beans and rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer . Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Calories: 750kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 2009mg | Potassium: 596mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 371IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 6mg