Steamed Vegetable Buns, I like mine fluffy and slightly chewy, The key to making the dough for any good steamed bun is that the flour and water must be well incorporated.
The filling must be dry and void of any visible liquid. Wet filling destroys the dough, making it impossible to close the buns neatly.
These Steamed Vegetable Buns are 100% vegan––and delicious.
Vegetarian Steamed Buns
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 pound bok choy minced
- 8 large fresh shiitake mushrooms minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces dried bean curd
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons green onion diced fine
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, baking powder, sugar, and salt together. Add the sesame oil and stir lightly. Slowly mix in the water and stir to combine. allow to rest for 10 minutes (the dough will rise again).
- prepare the filling.in a wok over add 2 tablespoons of oil ,bok choy,dried bean curd,mushrooms and onion.stir-fry for about 4 to 5 minutes,add the sugar, and scallions. Mix Salt to taste.
- When the dough is ready, transfer the dough to a slightly floured board and then knead forcefully until a smooth surface.
- take a dough ball, roll it out from edge to center, rotate, and repeat until it forms a 4-inch circle.
- Add about 2½ tablespoons of filling to the center, then pleat and twist the bun repeatedly until the top is closed.
- Place the filled buns into warm steamer or rice cooker and let steam for 15 to 20 minutes. (When the buns are ready to be cooked, turn the heat on high.)
- then enjoy!
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 227mg | Potassium: 677mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 5097IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 5mg406
1 thought on “Vegetarian Steamed Buns”
Can these be frozen?