HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES:
To make your scalloped potatoes, begin by chopping up your onions and garlic, and making your sauce on the stovetop. Just let it get warm enough that it barely comes to a simmer so that it can thicken. Then remove it from the heat until it’s ready to be used.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
scalloped potatoes and Bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs Potatoes sliced 1/4” thick
- 1/2 cup Bacon sliced
- 2 tablespoons scallions minced
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined, and cook for 1 more minute. Gradually pour in the stock, and whisk until combined. Add in the milk, salt, pepper, and whisk until combined.
- Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce just barely begins to simmer around the edges of the pan (avoid letting it come to a boiand thickens. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan . Top evenly with half of the sauce.
- Then sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, and all of the Parmesan cheese. Top evenly with the remaining sliced potatoes, the other half of the sauce. add the Bacon.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack, and sprinkle with scallions. Serve warm.