But fish is easy to cook, especially whole baked fish, It will impress your friends and family to bring out a whole baked fish and it is so wonderful you don’t need elaborate recipes.
How to Know if Fish is Fresh
1. It shouldn’t smell. Fresh fish smells fresh like the ocean, if it smells like it’s “fishy” it’s been hanging around for too long.
2. Bright, plump, clear. Stay away from fish with cloudy eyes – it’s a sure sign of aging.
3. Shiny, firm skin that bounces back when you touch it. If it’s spongy and doesn’t bounce back it’s old.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
Grilled Whole Fish
- 2 whole fish (snapper or sea bass) , gutted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1 lemon halved
- 1/2 teaspoonsea salt
- 1/2 freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons scallions
- Heat oven to 450°Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, or grease with cooking spray.
- Use a sharp knife to lightly score of the fish lines about 1-inch apart.
- then Brush the fish generously on both sides with the oil. Then briefly brush the inner cavity with oil as well.Slice half of the lemon into slices, and stuff those as well as the garlic into the cavity of the fish.Season the outside of the fish generously with a few good pinches of sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet, lay the fish on its side and cook until lightly charred and cooked through, about 20 minutes, or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145°F and flakes easily with a fork. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size/variety of your fish.)
- Remove from the oven, and squeeze the juice from and green scallions the remaining lemon half evenly over the top of the fish.Serve warm, and enjoy!