This slow cooker sausage and bean soup is made with a mixture of dried beans, and diced sausage , all cooked together for a hearty and flavorful meal.
sausage and bean soup is so hearty and full of great flavors. I love the combination of beans here, all of the different colors and textures make this soup something special. Whether you’re looking to use up leftover sausage or simply searching for a family friendly crock pot soup, this recipe is sure to be a hit!
A bowl of sausage and bean soup made with dried beans, sausage and vegetables, then topped with fresh parsley.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
Slow Cooker sausage and Bean Soup
- 1 pound dry bean soup mix
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1/2 red onion — diced
- 1/2 cup of sausage cooked diced or shredded
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water — plus additional as needed
- 3/4 pound new potatoes — cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas — fresh or frozen
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon green onions chopped
- Rinse and drain the beans. Pick through and remove any unwanted bits of debris. Place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the onion is turning translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Transfer to the slow cooker with the beans.
- To the slow cooker, add the sausage, stock, 2 cups water, potatoes, black pepper. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- Once the soup is cooked, Taste the soup. Depending upon how salty your ham is, you may need to season it . If the soup tastes flat, add kosher salt a pinch or two at a time until you are happy with the seasoning.