Bacon Pea Salad with mayonnaise, bacon and crunchy sweet peas. The perfect southern summer side dish!
WHAT IS PEA SALAD?
It’s a creamy, cold side dish of peas, bacon and red onion with a mayonnaise dressing. It’s a classic at BBQs and potlucks in the South.
Do you have to cook frozen peas for salad?
As a general rule, you do not have to cook frozen peas before making the peas salad. Most frozen veggies in the USA have been already blanched prior to freezing. Therefore, they are already “quickly cooked’ and safe to eat.
How to make bacon pea salad?
First, defrost the peas under cold water.
In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy and then crumble.
Then, mix together the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
Lastly, add the peas, bacon, and onion, and stir to coat with the dressing.
MORE BACON PEA SALAD RECIPES READERS LOVE!
asian chicken salad – the classically delicious version
sausage peas recipes – super easy!
bacon fried rice – Reader favorite recipe
candied sweet potatoes – Super quick!
chicken fried rice recipes – Easy and delicious!
Bacon Wrapped Smokies – quick and creamy
Bacon Pea Salad
- 2 pounds frozen peas
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
- Put frozen peas into a large bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes to begin to thaw.
- Into a large bowl add red onion, mayonnaise, Kosher salt, black pepper and bacon.
- Top with the peas and stir together until fully combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.