Chicken Cordon Bleu
This healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is a family favorite! Stuffed with ham and cheese then breaded and baked in the oven or made in the air fryer.
If you bake them in the oven or in the air fryer, they come out golden on the outside, and juicy on the inside, without all the mess and fat.
To Prepare Chicken for Stuffing: Place the chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (this keeps it from splattering juices everywhere). Simply pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet or tenderizer until it is 1/4″ thick. If the chicken breast is really thick you can butterfly it open before pounding. You’ll want to be firm but gentle when pounding so the chicken thins out but doesn’t get damaged or fall apart. Fold in the sides of the chicken and roll up jelly roll style.
Previously my instructions for this recipe called for cutting the chicken breasts into thin cutlets. I re-worked this recipe using thin pre-sliced chicken cutlets instead. If you’re a pro at slicing your own chicken cutlets, feel free to do it yourself, you will cut the cost in half.
Toothpicks to hold the chicken closed on the ends are not required to make this, I personally prefer not to use them. A little cheese may ooze out, but that’s OK! If you want to use the toothpicks, totally up to you but it’s so much quicker and easier without.
MORE DELICIOUS SIDES
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 chicken breasts boneless/skinless
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 oz Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese
- 2 slices ham
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 450°Spray a large non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Wash and dry the chicken cutlets; lightly pound the chicken to make thinner and lightly season with salt and black pepper.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast.
- Fold the cheese in half and place 2 pieces inside each pocket. Do the same with the ham. Close the pocket, seal with 2 toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken into the egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs.Transfer to tray, spray with oil.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet seem side down. Spray the top of the chicken with more cooking spray and bake about 25 minutes, or until until cooked.